Direct and indirect speech
(direct and indirect spi..ch)
(discurso directo e indirecto)
"direct speech" = el discurso directo se usa para expresar algo directamente, es lo que una persona dice o nos dice directamente.
I am tired.
I am going to Cancún this weekend.
"simple indirect speech" = el discurso indirecto simple es un reporte simple que damos o que nos dan de lo que una persona dijo.
You) John said "I am tired".
Mary) the other day you told me "I donot like going to my house" and now you are going.
"complete indirect speech" = el discurso o reporte indirecto completo se usa para comunicarle a una persona lo que otra persona dijo.
John) I am tired. = frase directa.
You tell another person) John said he was tired!. = frase o reporte indirecto.
1) Si en una frase directa se usa la acción "to be", entonces en el reporte indirecto se usa el pasado de "to be" (was, were).
Be ------ was / were.
To be going to ------- was / were going to.
Frase directa: I am tired.
Frase indirecta: he said that he was tired.
She is going to travel to Acapulco.
- She said that she was going to travel to Acapulco.
2) Si en la frase directas se usa: ---- entonces en las frases indirectas se usa:
Can ---- could.
May ---- might.
Will ---- would.
Simple present ---- simple past.
Present perfect past perfect.
Frase directa) I can do that.
Frase indirecta) he said that he could do that.
I will kiss her.
- He said that he would kiss her.
I may ask her.
- He said that he might ask her.
I always do it.
- He said that he always did it.
She has always good ideas.
- He said that she always had good ideas.
I already did my homework.
- He said that he alredy had done his homework.
I have done plenty of exercise recently.
- She said that she had done plenty of exercise recently.
I had seen that face.
- She said that she had seen that face.
3) Si queremos decir a una persona lo que otra persona pregunto, usamos "asked + la palabra interrogativa correspondiente", y luego aplicamos la regla 1 y 2:
Frase directa) where did you go last night?.
Frase indirecta) he asked where you had gone last night.
Where have you been?
- She asked where you had been.
What are you doing?
- He asked what you were doing.
4) Si no se utiliza una palabra interrogativa en la pregunta, entonces solo usamos "asked + if", y luego lógicamente la regla 1 y 2:
Do you know her?
- He asked if you knew her.
Did you go to the cinema?
- He asked if you had gone to the cinema.
Have you finished your work?.
- He asked if you had finished your work.
Had you been sick?.
- He asked if you had been sick.
Advanced 1 english practice, unit 7
Make the appropiate indirect speech of each one of the following sentences:
1) I will kiss her. _____________________________
2) I may ask her. _____________________________
3) I always do it. ____________________________
4) she has always good ideas. __________________________________
5) I already did my homework. __________________________________
6) I have done plenty of exercise recently. _______________________________
7) I had seen that face. _________________________________
8) where have you been? __________________________________
9) what are you doing? ____________________________________
10) do you know her? _____________________________________
11) did you go to the cinema? _________________________________
12) have you finished your work?. _______________________________
13) had you been sick?. ____________________________
1. Inglés completo
Adquirirás las habilidades de "escuchar, leer, escribir, y dialogar en inglés,... [21/10/05]
2. Curso de inglés
El curso perfecto para quienes todavía no se han acercado nunca a la lengua... [28/11/01]
3. El inglés en los negocios
El inglés, como todos sabemos, es la lengua extranjera más extendida, tanto en el... [17/06/03]
¿Te gustaría visitar más cursos gratis de Inglés?